Click to learn
WHEN & HOW TO USE ADAPTIL!
FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF FEAR OF NOISES OR NEW OR STRESSFUL SITUATIONS, WE RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING ADAPTIL PRODUCTS:
The ADAPTIL Diffuser--Plug It In So Your Dog Can Chill Out!
Plug the ADAPTIL Diffuser into any AC outlet in the main room or area where your dog spends time, or seeks refuge when frightening events or noises occur. Each Diffuser lasts approximately 4 weeks. Economical Refills are available. The Diffuser is also recommended for
- Separation Related Problems
- Storm and Noise Phobias
- New Puppy Transition
- When New People or Pets enter the household
- During travel
- During Holidays and Celebrations
- General Apprehension
BEFORE THE EXPECTED FRIGHTENING EVENT
- Plug in the Adaptil diffuser at least two weeks prior to the expected stressful event or start of thunderstorm season.
- Place the Adaptil diffuser in the room where the dog will go for refuge and leave it plugged in.
- Find a safe and secure area in the room and teach the dog to be comfortable resting there.
- For best results, Adaptil should be used in conjunction with behavior modification such as Counter Conditionioning (CC) and Desensitization (DS) (such as with Thunderstorm CDs). Desensitization techniques should be done PRIOR to the event or Thunderstorm season, and NOT during these stressful times. For more informaton see our STORM & NOISE PHOBIAS web page.
DURING THE FRIGHTENING EVENT
- Person should ignore the scary noises such as thunder and try to engage the dog in some form of active play or game.
- Do not punish or scold the dog for acting frightened, this will just increase fear and anxiety.
- Do not fuss or try to reassure the dog when it acts frightened since the dog may assume that this behavior is appropriate. It is ok to be calmly present, or to allow the dog sit or press against you. Simple calm touch may be soothing.
- Ignore any fearful behavior or attention seeking attempts such as pawing, whining, or pacing.
- Reward and praise when the dog shows relaxed calm behavior.
- Make sure the dog has access to a safe and secure hinding area with some comforting toys or food treats. See our CHEW TOYS & FOOD TOYS web page for suggestions on toys.
- Use some white noise (such as a fan) or loud music to mask the noisy sounds
- OR alternatively play Through A Dog's Ear music CDs. These CDs provide a unique new therapy using specially selected accoustic soothing music to treat anxiety issues in dogs.
- In addition to the room DAP diffuser, also apply DAP spray on the dog's bedding or area where it will stay during the noisy event.
AFTER THE FRIGHTENING EVENT
- Leave the ADAPTIL Diffuser plugged in for at least one week
- Work with your veterinarian if the problem is severe to initiate a behavior modification program. see our STORM & NOISE PHOBIAS web page for more information on relaxation techniques and behavior modification methonds.
For fear of loud noises, DAP spray can be applied to the dogs comfort area (crate, bedding) in conjunction with the diffuser. It is also handy to use for spot applications and when the diffuser is not pracctial. Remember to spray DAP on objects and areas--NOT your dog! The spray may also be used for:
- Fear of Traveling--Spray the car, blanket, or travel carrier about 15 minutes prior to travel
- Boarding and Grooming
- Veterinary Visits
The ADAPTIL Collar always stays with your dog to help cope with new and fearful situations. Each collar lasts approximately 4 weeks. Effective Uses include:
- Puppy Socialization
- Going on Walks
- New Puppy Transition or Adult Dog Adoption
- Fear of Noises (Outside only)